#1. To be healthier. My father died at age 37 because of heart disease. My maternal Grandfather has had a heart attack as well. Not something to mess around with. I want to be here as long as possible for my kids!
#2. I look terrible. Yeah... my husband will be so mad that I actually typed that out, but it's how I feel. You know how us women are... don't try to convince us otherwise!
#3. I am ready for another baby/babies! Actually, I have been ready for about 2 years, but it's finally feeling like it's almost the "right" time. Don't get me wrong, we need to get a few things in order first...mainly our house remodel! But I don't want to get pregnant while I am this overweight. I have been blessed with 4 awesome pregnancies and I want to be in better shape so that hopefully this can be a 5th awesome pregnancy. Especially considering that this could very well NOT be a single pregnancy. I need to be feelin' good so that I can keep up with my other rugrats!
So I started in on "dieting" about 2 weeks ago. I have already lost about 12 lbs! Whoop! Whoop! Mostly for my record, here is what has worked for me:
- Writing down exactly what I eat...ON THE FRIDGE. I have wrote down in a notebook before, but this seems to work better. It's right in front of my face when I walk in the kitchen. I write down EVERYTHING. Even if it's one twizzler.
- Eating breakfast. This is hard for me. I am soooo NOT a breakfast eater. Now I usually eat oatmeal and a banana or apple. Sometimes I just eat a granola bar.
- NOT eating anything at all after dinner. Once I am up from the dinner table, I don't eat another bite. Dave eats all the time. All day long, all night long. He stays skinny though....so that's ok for HIM! A lot of times we would sit down and munch on stuff and watch our shows after the kids go to bed. Shame Shame on me. Now, I brush my teeth as soon as I get the kids in bed. That way I am not tempted so much.
- Cutting back on my baking. Just for now. Once I lose the weight and feel like I have more self-control, I will go back to baking the goodies. I do miss it.
- Eating just one helping at dinner time. It is pretty easy to eat light all day. At dinner, there is no way I can always cook low-fat or light for the whole family. I just make sure I do good all day and then at dinner, I eat only one helping of everything....including veggies that I am not wild about.
- Snacking on fruit only. I do not buy any "light" snack cakes or "low-fat" diet snacks.
- Allowing myself to cheat. I DO keep some twizzlers and laffy taffy around. Somedays I eat 2 or 3. Somedays I eat none. The most I have eaten is 6. I write it down though. That keeps me from downing half the bag like I used to! I am a CANDY lover!!! Also, if we eat out as a family, which we have done twice since I have started, then I order what I want. I just don't usually eat as much because my stomach has shrunk since I have started dieting.
I do want to start drinking water better. I go through phases with that.
I'm definitely not saying it is the perfect diet plan for everyone. It has just been working for me so far! I would like to lose about 15 to 20 more pounds! I just hope and pray I can keep it up! I am feeling good about it and think I can!